Oil on panel signed by Oswald Poreau (1877 - 1955) mounted in an attractive wooden frame. The painting shows a view of a church and village at dusk and is also inscribed by the artist on the rear. It is dated 1924.
Oswald Poreau - Belgium School - was a realistic painter with a luminist tendancy and a lithographer. He was trained at the Royal Acandemy of Fine Arts in Brussels in both painting and architecture. According to Georges Eekhound "the work of Oswald Poreau gives us at the same time an impression of power and harmonious progression". (Georges Eekhound (1854 - 1927) was a a French writer, homosexual and anarchist of the time). Poreau continued his training in Paris in 1905 and was active in the Barbizon movement. He exhibited at the triennial exhibition of Antwerp in 1904 and in 1952 at the exhibition held at the town hall of Schaerbeek. He is listed int Piron Dictionary and has a monument that was erected in Schaerbeek in 1952.